Self-Introduction Letter

Subject: Self Introduction Letter

Dear Professor Brad Blackstone,

My name is Muhammad Ridhwan, and I am writing this letter to introduce myself in hopes that you get to know me better. I graduated from Temasek Polytechnic with a diploma in mechatronics engineering in 2020 and I am currently studying mechanical engineering at the Singapore Institute of Technology(SIT). Throughout my 3-year diploma course, I chose to be in the aerospace sector where I learnt more about the engineering aspects of airplanes. I have a strong interest in mathematics as well which is mainly the reason why I chose to be in engineering.

From my polytechnic internship experience, my communication strength would be the ability to listen well to others. Coming from a religious background family, I was taught to understand other people's thoughts and feelings as well as to be respectful towards the people around me. I have always lived by this quote, "You can't demand respect, you have to earn it".  Another communication strength that I have is open-mindedness. I would often be able to accept different opinions and perspectives from other people. I am also not the kind to rush to conclusions or make biased judgements. Having said that, I believe that I am able to learn a lot from other people by observing and listening.

As for my weakness, I am atrocious at presenting and speaking confidently to other people, especially to a larger crowd. I tend to rush through my presentation even though I have prepared for it by practicing in front of the mirror. This flaw leads me to forget the information that I prepared and stammer over the words. 

From this module, I hope to develop better presentation skills and be more confident when speaking to people. I also hope that through this module, I am able to better consolidate my thoughts and feelings into words and be able to articulate them clearly. I believe that as engineers, we have to be able to speak confidently and not just have the technical skills that are required as engineers.

Lastly, as mentioned before, I come from a religious background family which makes me a traditional person. I don't drink, go to clubs or even smoke which personally, makes me kind of unique as people around my age tend to do at least one of the things I have mentioned.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter and I hope you learnt something interesting about me. I am looking forward to gaining as much knowledge as I can with this module in the upcoming weeks.

Best regards,

Muhammad Ridhwan 


Edited: 18 September 2022

Edited: 9 October 2022






Comments

  1. Hi Ridhwan! The language used in your letter is well written with a few mistake. In the first paragraph, "Mechanical Engineering" should be "mechanical engineering".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Muhd Raizan,

      Thank you for taking your time to read my letter and providing some feedbacks. I will make amendment to your feedback. See you in class!

      Best regards,
      Muhammad Ridhwan

      Delete
  2. Hello Ridhwan. I feel that your letter is clear and concise. Your letter covers all the requirements of the assignment. Good examples were used which helps to enhance the idea of your points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Amsyar,

      Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I have read your self introduction letter as well and I must say the letter is very well-written with very minimal grammatical errors. Keep up the good work. See you around in class!

      Best regards,
      Muhammad Ridhwan

      Delete
  3. Dear Ridhwan,

    Thank you very much for the clear, detailed reflection and for your patience. Once again I apologize for missing this post this past weekend when I was reading.

    I truly appreciate the rich content in this letter being aligned with the assignment brief and the clarity in the explanation of your interest in engineering. It's also interesting to learn about what makes you special in terms of your traditional beliefs and about your perceived comm skills strength and weakness in the context of the experiences that you overview. I'm particularly impressed by how you connect your unbiasedness and opne-mindedness to your background and the respect you have for others.

    There are some issues with language use. You need to review your use of several sentences, considering these in particular:
    1. verb issues
    -- and currently studying > (verb form) ?
    -- I tend to rush through my presentation even though I prepared for it... > (verb tense consistency: repeated situation)
    I tend to rush through my presentation even though I have prepared for it

    -- This flaw had led me to forget the information that I prepared and stammer over the words. > (tense consistency?)
    This flaw has led me to forget the information that I prepared and stammer over the words. OR
    This flaw leads me to forget the information that I prepare and stammer over the words. (This is more general.)

    -- I believed that as engineers, we have to.. > (past?)
    2. overuse of caps
    -- I have a strong interest in Mathematics ... > ?

    Let's work on these points and revise the letter.

    As you stated, "You can't demand respect, you have to earn it." That is as true in a university classroom as it is anywhere. We all form opinions based on what we see and experience with others. That's precisely why giving 100% in a module, whether in project work or classroom participation or whatnot, is imperative. This letter is really a good effort, helping me to further appreciate the person you are becoming in term of critical thinking an communication.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Prof Brad,

      Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and providing some feedback. Amendments will be made from your feedback. Thank you again for reading this letter!

      Regards,
      Muhammad Ridhwan

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts